Buying a folding bike is not as simple as buying a regular one, as there are a lot more variables to consider than just the frame and wheel size as compared to regular bikes.
The main benefit of a folding bike is not only does it saves on storage space, but it's also adjustable to cater to the need of people with different heights.
There are a multitude of reasons to use folding bikes, which is why they tend to be more expensive and heavier than their counterparts.
In this post, we will be reviewing two models of such a foldable bike manufactured by Schwinn Bicycle Company, originally from Germany and which is now a sub-brand of Pacific Cycle. Pacific Cycle is an American brand known well for its unique, high-quality and innnovative products.
The two models we'll look at are the Schwinn 20-Inch Loop Folding Bike and the Schwinn 14 hinge folding bike. By keeping height and body ratios of males and females in mind, these are especially designed to be unisex and have proven to be great utilitarian bikes.
Having a versatile design, both these bikes have their own perks and benefits to offer, but before discussing them in detail, let’s look at an overview of requirements to look for in a folding bike.
The folding bike is ideal to use for:
- Apartment living
These are the features you should look for:
- Ease of folding
- Ease of carrying
- Quality of the bike
- Weight of the bike
If you're in the market for a high-quality bike, you will want to focus on the following aspects:
- Strength of the locking mechanism
- The finish
- The weight
- Reputation of the brand in question
The Schwinn 20-Inch Loop Folding Bike
The Schwinn 20-Inch Loop Folding Bike (previously known as the Schwinn Loop 7-Speed Folding Bike) is a sturdy model that allows for convenient packing and a pleasing overall riding experience.
- It weighs in at 35.2 pounds when unboxed and can withstand a weight capacity of up to 230 pounds.
- After folding, the dimensions are 30″ X 32″ X 11 inches.
- It is available in red, green, and shiny black only.
- It is designed to be unisex, with both men and women in mind.
- It comes with 7 gears which you will have to install and calibrate yourself.
- With a solid construction, bumpy roads are no match for this bike.
- The seat is not too close to the handle bars. This prevents the rider from developing back pain.
- This bike can go very fast especially when traveling downhill. Make sure to wear a helmet.
- You will need a multi-function bike tool to get this bike assembled easily.
- It can be folded and unfolded in about 15 seconds with ease.
It's fitted with a pretty basic bike seat that's positioned well, i.e. not too close to the handle bars, which reduces back pain. The height can also be easily adjusted.
Who is This Bike Perfect For?
This bike is perfect for pretty much anyone above the age of 15. It's designed with both men and women in mind. It can be used by people who are always on the go and who like to carry their bikes around for local exploration with its compact folding design.
It's perfect for those living in busy cities, residing in tiny apartments. It's also a great option for those who have to commute to and from work in more than one form of transportation, as its small size and easy folding allow you to freely hop on a train or a ferry if your commute requires you to do so.
It's good for the city streets and roads, but can also perform pretty well on a jagged terrain if you are into hiking and bike trailing. Even for those who don’t use it much, it's a great option that doesn't take up space, thanks to its compact folding design.
Features We Love
- You can very easily attach a child seat to this bike (the best one being Schwinn Deluxe Child Carrier for this model) and travel with your little one in style. It's lightweight with a robust construction of polypropylene.
- It's good for use as a training bike with the training handle installed. However, it's only ideal if the learner is at least 15 years of age.
- You can attach a bike bag or a basket as on the handle bars. Using the Schwinn Folding Handlebar Bag is advised if you want to install it on one handle bar and keep one free. The Schwinn Quick Release Wire Basket is a good option if you like your baskets at the back - it easily clips on with a clipping mechanism and is more suitable for those going for grocery shopping.
- This folding bike can also be transformed into an electric bike by installing the Rear Wheel 48V 1000W Electric Battery Powered Bicycle Motor Conversion Kit that works best with it.
- It fits easily into the trunks of cars.
Features We Don't Love
- This bike does not come with a travel bag, but it's highly recommended to get one as it will keep it safe from rust and dust.
- It's not recommended for kids under 15.
- You cannot travel with it in any normal luggage. Instead, a special carrier like the Sunlite Folding Bike Bag Travel Case is needed to travel on a plane or a bus.
This is a pretty useful bike for almost anyone and everyone regardless of where they live as it has a robust and sturdy construction suitable for any kind of terrain.
We love the modern design, which allows for an amazing overall riding experience, and the advantage of convenient storage and easy carrying with its unique foldable design.
The extra weight and hefty price might seem like a drawback, but that is the norm with any foldable bike.
Schwinn 14 Hinge Folding Bike
This bike is manufactured with 20-inch wheels made of alloy and has a foldable design that makes it ideal for convenient storage.
The alloy wheels allow for great riding through the streets at a leisurely pace and make any commute a pleasant experience.
It's designed to withstand the effects of weather and is ideal for a quick grocery run.
- Features a rigid ATB fork
- Designed with rear linear pull breaks
- Fitted with tires with smooth treads for better traction
This bike, like all other models from this maker, is designed for optimum comfort and performance.
It's fitted with a comfortable, plush seat with a radius telescope, and the tires are designed to hold up on slippery and wet surfaces. They're designed to be adjustable in terms of height, stem length, saddle fore, and aft position in order to make the ride more comfortable.
Who is This Bike Perfect For?
This bike is perfect for almost anyone, be it a leisurely ride or the necessity of a daily commute, and it's great for those living in tiny apartments due to its compact foldable design.
It's also perfect for those who have to commute through various modes of transport, for example, a short ride to one bus, or train station to the next, and then another short ride to your destination.
Features We Love
- It has a durable metal alloy construction with front and rear fenders that allow you to stay dry in wet conditions.
- It's equipped with a rear carrier that makes stocking your groceries or work briefcase easy and comfortable.
- It comes with a heavy-duty nylon bag that's perfect for storing or carrying your belongings while riding the bike.
- It has a design that can be folded easily and a low stand over folding frame.
- It's designed for both men and women in mind and is the ideal unisex bike for both with a height of 56 inches and a width of 44 inches.
- The compact folding size allows for easy storage so even if you’re not using it, it's not taking up a lot of space. The compact design also lets you carry it around with ease in a trendy nylon bag.
- It's fitted with sure-stopping, alloy, linear pull brakes for safety.
- The seat post is adjustable to suit your unique needs.
- It features a durable design. However, when in need of any spare parts, they can be found easily throughout the country from various dealership outlets.
- It is very easy to pedal with a single speed drivetrain and hence it is also easy to maintain.
Features We Don't Love
- Foldable bikes tend to be heavier than their normal counterparts, but this particular model is a little bit heavier than the standard weight.
This is a great bike with various safety features and a sturdy construction of metal alloy. It's a little heavy and pricey, but with all the pros and its adaptability to different terrains, it's most definitely worth it.
All in all, this bike is a good option for those in the market for a foldable bike.
It's safe for use in different kinds of weathers and terrains with fenders and tire treads. It's great for both genders, with adjustable features, and offers great storage to carry your belongings on the carrier.
The spare parts for this bike are also easy to find. If you fancy a quick milk run or want to go trekking with your friends, this model is a great choice.
Which Model is the Best?
The Schwinn 20-Inch Loop Folding Bike and Schwinn 14 Hinge Folding Bike are both great options. Both weigh in a little more than standard bikes, they are safe for use by people over 15, and they are both designed with both genders and the rider’s safety in mind.
However, what sets the second model apart from the first one is that it comes inclusive with a durable neon bag, whilst you would have to buy your own for the first model. The same can be said for the carrier in both models.
In terms of saving on storage space and having convenience in carrying an easily foldable bike, both of these are very similar. They both feature 7 different linear gears, but the second one has a low stand-over frame, an ATB rigid fork, and a durable alloy front.
The first model can easily have a baby carrier attached to it, so that your child can ride with you. Both are good choices for a foldable bike with different functionalities, so choose carefully with your requirements in mind.
Image credit: Sancho McCann